Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Tuesday Tip 15

This week's Tuesday Tip is how to freeze bacon.  I got the idea from this blog post.  I thought it was a great idea, and set out to try it myself.

First line a baking sheet with wax paper.  Then peel apart each piece of bacon and lay it on the wax paper as shown in the picture.  Thanks to my hubs for taking these picture










When finished you should have this.

Now put this in the freezer to flash freeze for a few hours or even overnight.  Mine was frozen solid after 3 hours.

When you take your bacon out of the freezer, it will look exactly them same!  I took an "after freezer" picture, but it looks the exact same!









Now take the bacon wax paper and all off of the baking sheet.  The blog I read suggested cutting it in half, I liked that tip.  A half slice of bacon is much easier to handle than a full slice in a frying pan.

I used kitchen shears to cut it in half, wax paper and all.











Finally, take your bacon (its still on the wax paper) and place in a freezer safe bag.  Be sure to label the contents with a date.

Now, I've read that frozen bacon cooks up just the same as non-frozen bacon.  However, I would not try to fry frozen bacon.  Water + Grease = BAD

That said, frozen bacon thaws out very quickly considering it is so thin.  Plus, frozen bacon is very easy to diced for recipes where that is necessary.

No comments:

Post a Comment