Thursday, January 13, 2011

Chair Redo

I knew what I wanted to do with this chair from the moment I saw it at Goodwill for only $6.00.  Bonus, the wood was already painted white, one less step!  So I brought it home with high hopes for something better out of that old chair. 

Well that chair set in my sewing room.  It held quilt squares, vinyl expressions, magazines, and other crafty odds and ends but I never got around to covering the cushion...

Until it snowed.

We were stuck inside for days due to the snowy weather, so I finished 2 sewing orders, tons of decorating and when I started putting away supplies and was organizing my sewing studio, I saw the chair.  Then I knew what had to be done next.


I turned the chair over and began unscrewing the four main screws that held the cushion to the chair.
 Here it is with the cushion removed.
I then took the same flat head screwdriver that I removed the screws with and started to pop out the staples... There were a TON of them!
Then I laid the fabric out around the edge of the cushion so I would know how big my fabric needed to be.
 I noticed when I took the dark blue fabric off of the cushion that there was paint on the green under fabric, this chair had been covered before!  So I took some extra white fabric I had in my stash and wrapped it around the cushion and stapled it around the edges as seen below.

Now for the decorative fabric.  I started with the straight back side of the cushion.  I pulled the fabric tight and put one staple in the middle.
I did the same thing with the front edge of the cushion.  Pulling the fabric very tight and putting one staple in the middle.  Then I began doing the same to the side of the chair.  The corners were a bit tricky, you had to fold the fabric over until there are no creases in the corner of the cushion.  As seen below.
Here is a close up of the corner.  It took a little time and patience to get it just right, but when you do staple quickly! :)
Here is what the cushion will look like when all the staples are put into place.  I took my scissors and trimmed around the fabric, so that the pre-drilled holes were visible and there was not too much bulk where I folded the fabric in the corners.
And here is the cushion!  Ready to go back onto the chair.
 Drum roll please...
Here is the finished product!  I think it took longer to upload pictures and do this blog post, than it did to recover this cushion!  Makes me want to go to Goodwill tomorrow!

1 comment: