Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Tuesday Tip 5: Leftover Potato Soup

Here's this weeks tip:  Use those leftovers for something different.

For instance, if you checked out this weeks meal plan, you saw that I am having leftover mashed potato soup for dinner tonight.  I was asked to bring potatoes to Christmas dinner and we had some Sunday for lunch but there are still about 2 cups of mashed potatoes staring at me in the fridge...

What to do, what to do.  And then it came to me.  Google: Leftover Mashed Potatoes Recipes.  After 30 links for potato pancakes I found one for soup that sounded delish!  Oh, and I have all the ingredients (except mushrooms, but we don't like those anyways)!  Double win!

So I thought I would share the recipe for Leftover Mashed Potato Soup tweaked by me:



Ingredients:
2 tablespoons bacon drippings
1/2 cup chopped onion
14 1/2 ounces chicken broth
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
2 cups leftover mashed potatoes
1/2 cup cheddar cheese
2 scallions, finely chopped
3 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
2 tablespoons milk

Directions:
Cook bacon, and set aside to crumble.  In a large saucepan, cook onion in drippings until onion is golden.  Add chicken broth, salt, and pepper stirring to mix.  Blend in mashed potatoes, stirring until lumps are gone (I like to use an immersion blender).  Bring soup to a boil, then lower heat and add cheddar cheese, stirring until it is melted and smooth.  Mix in scallions, crumbled bacon, and milk, stirring to heated through but not boiling.

No comments:

Post a Comment