Saturday, April 2, 2011

Envelope Pillow Tutorial

To make an envelope pillow you will need:

-Pillow form of your choice
-Fabric of your choice
-Scissors and/or rotary cutter
-Ruler and mat
-Sewing machine w/ thread (not pictured)
First off, measure your pillow if you are covering an older one or if new, look on the package and get the size of your pillow form.  Cut your fabric 1 inch bigger on each side than the pillow form.

Example:  My pillow form was 18x18
I cut my fabric 19x19

This is the front of your pillow.
Now we will cut the back "envelope".

Cut a rectangle that is 1 inch taller than you pillow form and 1 inch longer, plus 4-6 inches.

For my pillow:
18x18 Pillow form
Back piece: 19x25
Now, cut your rectangle right down the center.  Making sure it is still 19 inches tall on each piece.

So for my back piece, I cut it in half at 12.5".  Now I have 2 pieces that are 19"x12.5"

Now, serge or double fold a small hem on one of the 19 inch edges.  Do this for each piece.  This is going to be where your pillow slips in so you want the edges finished nicely.

Pin and sew.








Take your fabric that will be the pillow's front (that is my 19x19 square).  Lay it pretty side up on a table. 

Now lay one rectangle, pretty side down on top of the square, lining up all the raw edges.  Make sure the edge you hemmed is facing the middle.

Now take the other rectangle and repeat what you did above.  This will overlap part of the 1st rectangle.  That is what you want!


Now sew all around the edges with 1/4 inch seam.
Clip your edges, making sure not to clip in the seams or you will get a hole!  Clipping allows you to push the fabric and get a nice crisp corner.
Now, flip it inside out and use the eraser end of a pencil or my favorite, a chopstick, to push out the corners.

Insert your pillow form and there you have it!  See how my hand is in the envelope?  Very cute and easy to clean.  Just remove the pillow envelope and wash it.
Pictures edited and text added using Picnik
Now, sit back and relax on your new comfy pillow.  You've work hard, you deserve it :)










3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the great tutorial! I have used my share of online sewing tutorials, and this is one of the easiest to understand I've seen! Thanks again

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for such a sweet comment! :) So happy to help!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for sharing this tutorial! I've tried multiple times to make a envelope pillow cover and never got the dimensions right for the back making it to small and gape open in the back.This tutorial was super easy to follow and I love that you included measurements. Thanks so much! I will be using this tutorial again and again. :)

    justenoughstyle.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete