Saturday, September 10, 2011

Quilt Labels

I love having a lazy Saturday to sew.  Wake up a little too late, sew awhile, find something for lunch, sew a little more.  Its one of my favorite things...

Today I would like to post a tutorial for making your own quilt labels.  I like to label quilts for close, personal friends, family and ones I plan to keep.  Here's how I do it.

I start off by printing my little tag on printable fabric.  You can buy this at any craft or fabric store.  I always like to come up with a clever little title that goes along with the theme of the quilt.  I also include my name and the month and year.  I take a fabric that was used in the quilt and frame it out.
Sew all 4 pieces to the main tag.  This really dresses it up in my opinion.  I then trim it down to the size I think will be best for the size of the quilt.
Next, take a piece of fabric the same size of the tag.  It does not matter what this is, you will never see it.  I used muslin.  Place the tag right side up and then place plain fabric on top.  You are going to turn this inside out.
 Sew 1/4 inch seam all around the edge.
Cut a small slit in the middle of the plain fabric.  You are going to pull the printed tag through this hole.  Press with an iron and push out the corner with a chopstick or other sewing tool.  Do not worry about the slit.  It is not going to show.

Here is what you will be left with.  Beautiful tags!  I try to do a few at a time since the printable fabric is not that cheap...

Now attach the tag to your quilt.  I like to use the same stitch I use to attach binding so nothing is seen.  Here you can see that it doesn't matter that there is a slit in the back fabric because it is sandwiched between the tag and the quilt.  I think they really finish the quilts!

No comments:

Post a Comment