Sunday, September 11, 2011

A Day of Remembrence

10 years ago today I was in college, as a freshman I had only been at school a few weeks and it was my first experience being so far away from home.  I was sitting on my bunk bed eating Frosted Flakes before my class.  I always enjoyed watching the Today Show with Matt Lauer and Katie Couric.  As I watched they flashed to breaking news about something going on in New York.  They said a plane had hit one of the World Trade Center towers.  I sat there and watched and wondered, "How does that happen?".  I heard Katie Couric scream and watched in horror as another plane went into the towers.  I couldn't believe what I was seeing.  At that moment I picked up the phone and called my boyfriend.  I woke him up and just said, "Something is really wrong, 2 planes have hit the World Trade center buildings in NYC, turn on the tv"  He still has a scar on his hand from the hurry of getting out of bed to see what I was talking about.

I didn't know what else to do but call my family and go to class.  I remember feeling so lonely and scared.  I had already had a twinge of home sickness and then this was happening.  When I got to my science class we were told another plane had gone down in Pennsylvania and to go back home.  I had spoken with my family and had finally gotten in touch with my mom, who at that time worked at Fort Bragg.  They were on lock down and she didn't know when she could leave but to know she was safe.  For the rest of the day I did what pretty much everyone else did, I was glued to my TV.  I went to vigils and gatherings on campus over the next few days and became very attached to Appalachian State as it provided comfort and safety in such a scary time.

I never knew what people meant when they said they remember the exact moment when they heard about JFK being assassinated, I now know.  I'll never forget that moment and I will never forget the heroes of 9/11.

No comments:

Post a Comment